Ingredients for 4 servings
Cost: 500 yen
The number of chefs required: 2
Tilefish: 1/2 pc
Egg: 5 pcs
Pea: 5 pcs
Carrot, Kikurage(wood ear mushrooms): as needed
Bishadama (soft-boiled scrambled egg)
Egg: 10 pcs
Light soy sauce, salt and sugar: as needed
Tilefish Kenchinyaki Yurinemurasaki imo chakin (chakin-shaped steamed edible lily bulb and purple sweet potato) Sweet and sour pickled gingerroot
Kenchinyaki is a grilled dish of tofu and vegetables which have been stir fried and wrapped in white fish or chicken. The ingredients to be wrapped are called Kenchinji. Cut the vegetables (shiitake mushrooms, carrots, bamboo shoots, kikurage, and burdocks) into julienne strips(thin-sliced), stir fry with tofu(called tofu kenchin) or eggs(called egg kenchin) and season. It is said that this dish was the beginning of Shojin ryori or monk foods. The reason for the beautiful seared marks is that the ingredients are soaked in soy sauce, miso, and sake, in a one to one ratio. That soy sauce makes those ingredients glistening, like the teriyaki dish when the soy sauce heated. This is the basic Kenchinyaki. If the tilefish is not used, spanish mackerel or raw salmon is good when in season. Spanish mackerel is a white fish. So the yellow egg Kenchin gives it a good colour. If you use salmon then white tofu Kenchin would be good because the salmon is red.
(1) Fillet tilefish into 3 peieces, removing internal organs, bone, and skin. Make it hinged double doors-shaped to wrap the ingredients inside later. Then marinate it for 10 mins in a mixed seasonings: soy sauce, miso, and sake in a one to one ratio.
(2) Add julienned(thin-sliced) carrots and peas, then boil along with the kikurage.
(3) Scramble 10 soft boiled eggs. enhance the taste with light soy sauce, salt and sugar. Make Bishadama in a Nimainabe, which is like a Bain Marie (boil water in the outer pot and put a small pan with the ingredients in it). Leave to cool. After it is cooled, strain. Add the scrambled egg to the vegetables. This is Egg Kenchin.
(4) Wrap Egg Kenchin gently over the prepared tilefish. seal in aluminum foil and grill in oven. Once it is cooked, remove the aluminum foil. Grill while repeatedly pouring mixed seasonings(soy sauce, miso, and sake in a one to one ratio) little by little.
(5) Steam edible lily bulb and purple sweet potato then strain. Add sugar, salt and syrup. Then form it a Chakin-shape.